Sewing for a New Baby

One of our family traditions is to send a newborn baby gown to our new grandchildren. It reminds me of one of the few gifts I remember receiving when my first baby was born. We won’t know if grandchild #17 is a boy or girl until he or she arrives, which presented a bit of a challenge when I went looking for fabric, especially since the selection is slim to begin with at the local fabric store. However, I did find something I liked, and I hope baby Harris (or at least his parents) like it as well.

After making the gown and hat, there was still some extra fabric. We believe in the adage “Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without” so I couldn’t just throw out the remainder, and I didn’t feel like adding to the fabric stash collection. Fortunately, I found some ideas that I hope will also be useful. 

First up was a pullover bib. Basically sew two rectangles together (round the edges if desired), cut a hole in the center, turn and attach some ribbing. Here’s the tutorial if you’d like to make one yourself and want more detailed instructions. The contrasting fabric did come from the fabric stash, but I couldn’t decide which should be in front and which in back, so I made two. The new mother will need to let me know if the knit is better in front or back. Next was a burp cloth. I liked the idea of the center curve for mama’s (or grandma’s) neck, which I noticed here. Sewing it is the same principle – place right sides together, sew around the edges leaving an opening to turn, turn and topstitch all around.

After that, there was still a bit of fabric. I saw a couple of balls that might be fun, but the pictures didn’t come with instructions. My experimenting didn’t quite turn out the way my imagining thought it ought, but this should still be a fun little toy, complete with a hanger to attach to the stroller if desired. I made four stuffed circles, then tacked them together through the center, and in a couple of spots around the edges. It’s a bit difficult to describe, but if you think “pyramid shape” that might help visualize the process.

All finished, and without any “baby animal” fabric scraps leftover!

Comments