Newborn Kits

February 2010
Several years ago we had a Relief Society service project where we assembled hygiene and newborn kits (about 24 of each) to send to the humanitarian arm of the church. It doesn't look like they still accept these types of donations, but it's a fond memory for me. And just in case you want to try something similar on your own, here's the list of what was included:
  • 4 single thick cloth diapers, 100% cotton (approximately 25x27 inches, no pre-fold or disposable diapers)
  • 4 diaper safety pins
  • 1 pair booties or baby socks
  • 2 bars of soap, 3.2-5 ounces each (Ivory or other non-allergenic brand)
  • 1 receiving blanket, 36x36 – 45x45 inches (single layer fleece, or double layer flannel, hemmed and top-stitched to prevent shifting)
  • 1 layette gown (no footed sleepers, buttons, zippers or strings - newborn to 6 months, cotton knit)
At the time of this service project we were expecting our first grandchild. I wanted to have a sample before the meeting, so I made a layette gown for him, using this pattern.

June 2010
Doing so reminded me of the little gowns his dad had used in the first months of life. I don't know if baby boys still use gowns, but it's become a tradition to make them for our granddaughters. Here's the latest, for granddaughter #6 expected any day now.


Because these are actually quite simple to make, I made another one this month for a local friend's new baby, along with a couple of embellished onesies. I like thinking about my friends and family members as I make gifts for them, and I'm grateful when I can do so. I hope they find the gifts meaningful, but even if they don't, I enjoy making them.


Every time I sew I'm reminded of one of the few Christmas gifts I remember from my childhood - a six-week sewing course at Sear's the year I was ten. Experience gifts really are the best.

There's been some time between starting the post and actually publishing it, so baby Lynelle is here! I'm looking forward to making many more gifts for this precious little girl, and I'm sure her other grandmother is as well, as evidenced by this beautiful pink afghan.


Comments