WFMW - The Dictionary

Works for Me Wednesday
Looking up Definitions

When I was 12, I received a dictionary from my parents for Christmas. Even though it is now falling apart at the seams, it still sits on the shelf next to our kitchen table. You'd be amazed at the number of times it gets pulled out in a month. A couple of days ago someone read a comic with a joke about a scrabble game and wanted to see if the word "za" was in our dictionary. It wasn't. (Like I said, it's an old dictionary!) However, we did learn that "zigzag" is a compound word; "zig" is going one way and "zag" is going the other.

Not only does the dictionary help with homework (think English vocabulary), but it also helps in ordinary conversations. It's nice to be able to solve a dispute or enlighten understanding right on the spot. If we had to leave the dinner table to grab a dictionary (or look something up on the computer), we'd forget and never do it. And it's also a great conversation starter when no one has anything to say. Just open it up and ask, "What does "luciferous*" mean?"
To find out what works for others, be sure to check out "We are THAT Family."

* luciferous: bringing light or insight, illuminating. And that reminds me of this post - Lightbringer.

Comments

Alicia said…
I <3 my dictionary!!
Kristy K said…
There's something about a handheld dictionary :). My kids love looking up words in ours. One day I told my son to quit lollygagging.... he wanted to look it up to make sure that's a word. :)

You asked if I thought the notebook idea would be good for teens... the person who recommended it to me has a teenager, so I think yes. :)

Thanks for stopping over at my blog!

Kristy