A 20th Anniversary

Jeff recently reminded us of a family hike we took on one long-past Martin Luther King Day. Apparently it was a rainy day bike hike. I checked our family almanac to find the entry: 18 January 1999 - "Hike Alameda Creek Trail. Brad's worst day ever."** That makes it the 20th anniversary of that eventful day. (Since we weren't home to mark this occasion on the actual day, we'll just honor it on MLK Day 20 years later.)


I'm pretty sure I dropped Wayne and his hiking companions off at one end and picked them up at the other. He probably also hiked it on two separate occasions - once on the north side and once on the south. This day was probably the south side because it's paved and meant to be a bicycle path as well. Since 11 miles is quite a distance for 9 and 10 year olds, Wayne decided Brad and Jeff could ride their bikes. (I'm guessing Weston and David walked and Steven and Michelle stayed in the car with me.) I don't imagine we expected it to be a rainy day, but a little water isn't going to stop Wayne from his original plans. If you ever want to do this yourself, you can get more information from this website (which is where I found these pictures).



We didn't take any pictures of that memorable hike, but I found some taken on a family outing a few weeks later. This looks like a picnic at the Antioch Bridge Park. The description here says it's a great place for kite flying, which I imagine is why David took a kite along. I can't remember if it actually flew; does anyone else know?



**Brad's comment this weekend: "Aaah! That was an awful day! The good news is that it's still the worst day of my life. And now that I'm a grown-up, the idea of a rainy bike hike sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I'll have to pay it forward when Adam is 10!"

Comments