The Great See's Project


Every year my dad sends me a box of See's assorted chocolates for Christmas. Every year I have to remember which piece is which flavor, so this year I decided to check the internet for a good resource to help me remember. I was surprised that there wasn't a code/map/description to be found. I did find the "build a box" portion of the See's website, but it wasn't terribly helpful. However, it provided a starting place for me to make my own list, and I'm posting this so I don't have to do it again next year. If I help someone else in the process, that's a nice bonus.

Starting with the photo on their website, I looked at the individual flavors and tried to decide which was which in my box. I discovered that the chocolates in my box weren't exactly the same (you'll notice that my #3 was oval and #4 round while the sample showed both as rectangles), but they were close. However, it's hard to tell the difference between two round chocolates with different fillings, so my original predictions were only about 33% correct. That's pretty sad. Fortunately, testing my hypothesis wasn't a challenge at all!
Oops, forgot a number! Bottom right corner is #24.

The results:
  1. MILK MOLASSES CHIP: Sugar wafer flavored with molasses and covered in smooth milk chocolate.
  2. MOCHA: Creamy center flavored with coffee and cream covered in smooth milk chocolate and decorated with chocolate rice.
  3. MILK COCOANUT: Creamy soft center with angel flake coconut covered in smooth milk chocolate. (However, in my box, this piece was more oval and turned out to be DIVINITY: Fluffy white chocolate center with English walnuts covered in smooth milk chocolate.)
  4. DARK BUTTERCHEW: Buttery brown sugar caramel with vanilla covered in rich dark chocolate. (My box had a repeat of #8.)
  5. WALNUT SQUARE: English walnuts held together with buttery caramel and dipped half way in rich, dark chocolate to show off the delicious center.
  6. DARK CALIFORNIA BRITTLE: Buttery brittle with California almonds enrobed in rich dark chocolate.
  7. BUTTERSCOTCH SQUARE: A soft center of grained brown sugar and cream with a touch of vanilla covered in milk chocolate.
  8. DARK CHOCOLATE BUTTER: Creamy soft center with chocolate liquor and butter covered in rich dark chocolate.
  9. MAYFAIR: Creamy soft center with walnuts, cherries and vanilla covered in smooth milk chocolate.
  10. NORMANDIE: Creamy vanilla brown sugar soft center with English walnuts and almonds, coated in rich dark chocolate.
  11. MILK CHOCOLATE BUTTER: Creamy soft center with chocolate liquor and butter covered in rich milk chocolate.
  12. RUM NOUGAT: Chewy nougat center with glace cherries, plump California raisins, and English walnuts with a touch of rum flavoring covered in smooth milk chocolate.
  13. DARK ALMOND: Roasted California almonds smothered in rich dark chocolate.
  14. SCOTCHMALLOW: A layer of caramel with a layer of honey marshmallow covered in rich, dark chocolate..
  15. MILK ALMOND: Roasted California almonds smothered in smooth milk chocolate.
  16. VANILLA NUT CREAM: Creamy soft center with vanilla and English walnuts covered in smooth milk chocolate.
  17. DARK NOUGAT: Chewy nougat with honey, roasted California almonds, angel flake coconut and vanilla covered in rich dark chocolate.
  18. MILK ALMOND: Roasted California almonds smothered in smooth milk chocolate. (A repeat in my box.)
  19. NORMANDIE: Creamy vanilla brown sugar soft center with English walnuts and almonds, coated in rich dark chocolate. (Another repeat in my box.)
  20. WALNUT SQUARE: English walnuts held together with buttery caramel and dipped half way in rich, dark chocolate to show off the delicious center.
  21. MARZIPAN: Almond paste with honey and powdered sugar covered in rich dark chocolate.
  22. CARAMEL: Buttery brown sugar caramel with a touch of maple sugar and California almonds enrobed in smooth milk chocolate.
  23. MILK BORDEAUX: Creamy brown sugar soft center covered in milk chocolate and decorated with chocolate rice.
  24. DARK PATTIE: Rich chocolate caramel with a touch of vanilla and covered in rich dark chocolate.
Note that if you go to the website, you can see pictures of the insides of the individual candies.

Silly me! I thought both layers would be identical, but they weren't. So, I guess coming up with this list wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped it would be. Here was the second layer:



Comments

Becky said…
I guess I should add what I liked and didn't. I like chocolate; I don't care for candied cherries, so my least favorite were the Mayfair and Rum Nougat. I also prefer my chocolates to be creamy, so I also didn't care for the grainy ones - Marzipan and Butterscotch Square. Everything else is wonderful!