Works for Me Wednesday - Learning New Things

Recently we were visiting with someone several years older than us, and one thing he said resonated with me. He said that even at his age, he still wasn't sure what he wanted to do when he "grew up" and, in fact, was in the process of applying for college. He mentioned that when he was a teenager his grandfather gave him some advice that he never forgot, and that was to learn at least one new thing every single day. If you just happen to learn more than one new thing, that's great, but it doesn't let you off the hook for learning something new the next day! Isn't that fantastic advice?
That's exactly the purpose of these blog posts, to share the new things we're learning so that others can benefit from them as well. Education is important. This train of thought reminded me that I never did post on this blog something I wrote on the subject last fall. It was published here as part of the Family Proclamation series, but now it's also part of this blog. It also reminded me of the quote, "I am always doing what I can’t do yet in order to learn how to do it." (You can read more about that here.)

One thing I learned today was a new scripture teaching the importance of following through and actually doing things (2 Corinthians 8:11). So, I figured I should make the time to write this post and keep up with "Works for Me Wednesdays" tips and ideas.

In particular, what works for me is learning new things from my kids. There's Greek yogurt in my fridge because one daughter-in-law mentioned she really liked it, and Costco tortillas in my freezer because another daughter-in-law introduced me to them.
Another son and his wife gave us a cookbook, saying every recipe they'd tried in it was great. Last week we tried one of the cookie recipes, and the results were delicious. You can make them yourselves someday if you want - Oatmeal Toffee Cookies.
Finally, a little while ago one of our sons encouraged us to read C. S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters. I had read it before, but it's been years, so I decided to read it again. This time I also decided to record some of the passages that I really liked; you can find them over here.

As always, feel free to share whatever has worked for you and your family this week. And remember to learn something new every day!

Comments

lrbodine said…
I want to know the name of the cookbook! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love reading the tips, thoughts, and ideas.
Becky said…
It's from a cookbook called Old-Fashioned Bake Sale.