Candy Countdown - Virtual Style

When looking for ideas to write about this month, I compiled a list of favorite cookies and treats that we like to make in December. It turned at to be quite a list. So, for the next ten days, I'll share some of those with you. First we'll do some favorite candy treats, and then some favorite cookies.
Not the prettiest picture, but you can see how it got the name of Rocky Road.
Rocky Road needs to start it off, because that's the candy I remember from my childhood. It's what we would take to our school teachers and other friends. I remember my mom ordering a 10-pound block of Ghiradelli chocolate from San Francisco. Then she would hack at it with a knife to get it into smaller, 1-pound sections, and each of us kids would get a chance to melt some in the double-boiler before stirring in the nuts and marshmallows. Of course, licking the spoon at the end was an extra special treat.

You can go to this old post for the step-by-step instructions. Basically, though, for each pound of melted chocolate, you stir in 3/4 cup of chopped nuts and 3 cups of mini marshmallows. Then pour it into a 9" square buttered pan and chill until solid. Then cut into whatever size pieces you desire. It would be nice to use the fancy chocolate, but we're just fine with Hershey's milk chocolate chips (1 1/2 bags equals about one pound). That way we can have more of it!
I'm thinking I need to make a batch today so I can try taking a prettier, more festive picture. What do you think?
How's that?

Comments