Happy Mother's Day!

It's time to go to church, but I wanted a place to record all the neat Mother's Day articles I'm finding.  Here's a start, and I'll add more as time permits.  Hope you're all having a wonderful Mother's Day!

"Because She is a Mother" - a conference talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland in 1997.  Today I'm past the stage of "young mother" (even though I don't feel old at all!), but I still vividly remember the Saturday session when this talk was given.  I was in our "patio playroom" cleaning the mildew off the walls while everyone else was relaxing on the couch listening to conference.  I was feeling just a touch sorry for myself.  Hearing the message through an apostle of the Lord that what I was going through was important was an incredible experience.  You really need to read the whole thing, but here's just a sample of his marvelous humor which leads to prophetic counsel and advice.

In speaking of mothers generally, I especially wish to praise and encourage young mothers. The work of a mother is hard, too often unheralded work. The young years are often those when either husband or wife—or both—may still be in school or in those earliest and leanest stages of developing the husband’s breadwinning capacities. Finances fluctuate daily between low and nonexistent. The apartment is usually decorated in one of two smart designs—Deseret Industries provincial or early Mother Hubbard. The car, if there is one, runs on smooth tires and an empty tank. But with night feedings and night teethings, often the greatest challenge of all for a young mother is simply fatigue. Through these years, mothers go longer on less sleep and give more to others with less personal renewal for themselves than any other group I know at any other time in life. It is not surprising when the shadows under their eyes sometimes vaguely resemble the state of Rhode Island. . . .   It is clear that some of those Rhode Island–sized shadows come not just from diapers and carpooling but from at least a few sleepless nights spent searching the soul, seeking earnestly for the capacity to raise these children to be what God wants them to be. Moved by that kind of devotion and determination, may I say to mothers collectively, in the name of the Lord, you are magnificent. You are doing terrifically well. The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you. 

"Are we not all Mothers?" - a Relief Society broadcast talk by Sheri Dew given in 2001.  In my opinion, the fact that Sister Dew had not born children yet in this life made it even more powerful.

My Angel Mother  - that would be MY mom.

Motherhood's Fleeting Rewards - today's post at Chocolate on my Cranium - so true!

Mary, the Mother of Jesus - New Testament series video


And, finally, Last-Minute Coupons from Middle-aged Mormon Man - You can't survive motherhood without a sense of humor :)

Comments

Meg said…
Thanks for posting the quote- I cried all through church yesterday and that quote brought them all out again, in a good way. :) And those coupons are hilarious!