Attitude of Gratitude - Day #10

Today I am thankful for the gift of good health.

One of the messages from general conference that struck me the most was the following one by Elder Christofferson:

"A consecrated life respects the incomparable gift of one’s physical body, a divine creation in the very image of God. A central purpose of the mortal experience is that each spirit should receive such a body and learn to exercise moral agency in a tabernacle of flesh. A physical body is also essential for exaltation, which comes only in the perfect combination of the physical and the spiritual, as we see in our beloved, resurrected Lord. In this fallen world, some lives will be painfully brief; some bodies will be malformed, broken, or barely adequate to maintain life; yet life will be long enough for each spirit, and each body will qualify for resurrection.

"Those who believe that our bodies are nothing more than the result of evolutionary chance will feel no accountability to God or anyone else for what they do with or to their body. We who have a witness of the broader reality of premortal, mortal, and postmortal eternity, however, must acknowledge that we have a duty to God with respect to this crowning achievement of His physical creation."

My poor daughter has a cold right now, which makes me grateful that I can't remember the last time I was really sick. That's a remarkable blessing. Our physical bodies truly are a magnificent gift. As I get older and it doesn't always do what I want it to, I need to be grateful for what it does do, and I need to take care of it. So, today I am even thankful for sore muscles, and I am thankful I'll have the opportunity to use them again this afternoon.

Comments