Father's Day Links

It's been a busy week (more on that later), so this is a day late, but in honor of Father's Day we wanted to share a couple of articles/posts we came across yesterday. We hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
1) Here's a link to Wayne's cousin's blog where she wrote out her sacrament meeting talk. She had some great thoughts to share - "In Honor of Fathers and Priesthood Holders."

2) Happy NEW Father's Day! (Just in case you haven't found these pictures yet. Steven particularly likes the first one with the soccer ball.)

3) We all thought this article in our Sunday paper also described the dad in our home quite well. What do you think? (I've copied part of it below.)

LEVI (who is 14 years old): It's Father's Day today, so let me tell you about Dad.

He can be really annoying.

But in his annoyingness, he has also taught me important lessons about money and other things. Let me offer some examples.

1. Dad doesn't let me buy many things I want with my own money. But because of that, I've learned from him how to think through logically whether I really need something, or whether I just want it.

2. He is a cheapskate with his money, so he often goes for the cheaper option when we have a choice about something. But that has taught me to like camping, since when we travel, he usually likes to camp rather than shell out money for a hotel.

3. Dad doesn't let me play many videogames, which I hate because so many of my friends do. But his restrictions have forced me to enjoy other kinds of entertainment and use my imagination a lot more. When I was younger, my friends and I would spend hours playing pretend games with "swords" (plastic pipes and sticks) -- thanks to my restrictions on videogames.

4. Dad is strongly opposed to buying junk food. This has made me eat, and even like, healthful food. In fact, given a choice, I'll sometimes pick healthful options over junk food.

5. Dad has passed down to me the value of saving things as small as Halloween candy. That has definitely cluttered my room, which is filled with things I'll probably never use. But it also means that I save money -- waiting for something I really want instead of just need.

6. On weekends, Dad drags me outside to do yard work. Again, pretty annoying. But I also know that the time in the hot sun working in our jungle-like backyard helps me appreciate when we have a barbecue on the newly cleaned deck or when I look out on the backyard from my bedroom window.

7. Dad values experiences over money, which meant that when I was little, I'd get upset that I didn't get huge Lego sets. But now, I appreciate the times I spent with my dad and cousins building inexpensive model rockets.

8. Dad saves things until they are about to fall apart or are so outdated that they are unusable. I've written about how annoying this is when it comes to our family computer, which is deteriorating rapidly. But his approach has meant our family has saved a lot of money over the years, and enabled us to take trips that we never could have taken otherwise.


So overall, there's no doubt that Dad can be really annoying. But there's also no doubt that many of these annoying things will only help me in the long run.

Comments