WFMW - The Many Uses of Rock Salt

Works for Me Wednesday
Rock Salt

Until a couple of weeks ago, I thought the only thing you used rock salt for was to make ice cream. However, I learned that it also makes a wonderful centerpiece! Fill your vase with rock salt, adding a battery-operated tea light near the top, but covering it with more rock salt. The light glows through the salt and looks really pretty.
Of course, I didn't come up with this idea on my own, so thank you David's mother-in-law for letting me borrow your idea! With everything already on hand, this is the perfect no-cost centerpiece accent.
And our rock salt must be years old, because it's been forever since we've made homemade ice cream. However, that brings back lots of fun memories, particularly from Cub Scout Day Camp. Here's the recipe we used then.
Combine 1/2 cup cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a quart-size ziplog bag. Zip shut and place in another quart-size one. Then place that in a gallon-size ziplog bag filled with ice cubes and 3 tablespoons rock salt. Close tightly, then toss and shake until it turns into ice cream. This is the perfect activity/treat for a hot summer day!

You can do even more things with rock salt; here's a link to find more ideas.
And I even have a "flashback" memory. I remember that the "in" thing to do when I was in 3rd or 4th grade was taking a small bag of rock salt to school, and then sucking on it during recess. I think it had something to do with home water conditioners being the new "status symbol," but I can't really remember for sure. Did any of you ever do that? Rock salt, Pokémon cards, Silly Bandz - I guess there's always something!
I hope you enjoyed learning about some uses for rock salt. Be sure to check out We are THAT Family to find tips and hints that can really help you!

Comments

Bitterroot Mama said…
Cute idea! I have some Epsom salt lying around and some little flameless candles from Halloween. I think we have a winner!
Janna said…
I would love to do the rock salt look for Christmas this year. It is a lovely affect.

Becky, thank you so much for considering recording your youth with a great group of women.

I'd suggest grabbing a steno and over the next few weeks jot down memories of childhood that come to you.

I was brainstorming with my mom tonight and it was so special to talk about things that we hadn't thought of in years that would be special to pass on to my daughter.

No pressure but to me it's such a valuable exercise to remember, and appreciate our story.
Janna said…
Please send me the email you want to use if you decide to join to jannajoy25 (at) hotmail.com