The "I Am Thankful For . . . " Activity

Memorable Monday Moments
"I am Thankful"


It's quite safe to say that we've had many, many (or a "plethora" according to Miss Michelle) November family night lessons on gratitude and thanksgiving, but I'm not remembering a specific one today. Instead I decided to share something that I wish we had done. And even though it's not the beginning of November, I'm posting it here so I can find it again next year.


This idea came from my son's sister-in-law (via another sister-in-law here). When he got married last year, Weston inherited a wonderful set of nieces and nephews - and they're so wonderful because their parents are great. That's something I'm definitely thankful for, even if it's not on the following list. Anyway, the idea is to pick something specific to be thankful for each day as a countdown to Thanksgiving. I think these were written on little pieces of paper and put in a jar. Each day they're pulling one out and doing what it says. What a fun idea! And maybe we'll even try a shortened version this year. We still have ten days :)
•I am Thankful for My Family!
Play a game together, inside or outside! (board game, hike, chalk art, etc.)

•I am Thankful for Pies!
Make some Pumpkin Pies to deliver to anyone!

•I am Thankful for Grandparents!
Call and tell them "I love you" "I am grateful for you"!

•I am Thankful for Prayer!
Say a prayer only using the words "I thank Thee for..." and don't ask for anything.

•I am Thankful for Computers!
Send an email to someone you love, and a photo!

•I am Thankful for my Toys!
Give some of your toys to Goodwill to give to other kids. (Grown-ups--you know you have toys you can give up too).

•I am Thankful for my Teachers!
Make a plate of cookies and/or a card for your piano, Primary (church), or school teacher.

•I am Thankful for our Car!
Clean out the car, and go get ice cream cones in it!

•I am Thankful for Turkeys!
Art project: Make paper turkeys

•I am Thankful for Neighbors!
Do a secret service for your neighbor! (rake leaves, pull weeds, leave a treat, etc.)

•I am Thankful for my Heavenly Father!
Write in your journal and say a prayer expressing your love and gratitude!

•I am Thankful for my Cousins!
Call or write a letter to one of your cousins!

•I am Thankful for the Scriptures!
Have a Family Home Evening on a favorite scripture story--memorize a scripture!

•I am Thankful for Sisters!
Do something nice for her! (make her bed, do her job, play a game with her, etc.)

•I am Thankful for Food!
Go to the store and pick out a food that you haven't tried yet!

•I am Thankful for our Kitchen!
Bake something fun together in the kitchen!

•I am Thankful for my Ears!
Close your eyes and listen to music! Play some music. Enjoy it all day!

•I am Thankful for my Dad!
Do something nice for Dad! (run give him a hug when he gets home from work, write him a note, shine his shoes, clean his closet, organize the garage, etc.)

•I am Thankful for my Hands!
Art Project: Finger painting, or drawing.

•I am Thankful for my Eyes!
Watch a special movie with your family!

•I am Thankful for my Brother!
Do something nice for your brother! (make his bed, do his job, play a game with him, etc.)

•I am Thankful for my Legs!
Go outside--run and jump or ride your bike!

•I am Thankful for my Mom!
Do something nice for mom! (write her a note, good chocolate, cook and clean up dinner, do the laundry, clean any room, etc.)

•I am Thankful for Books!
Go to the library and pick out some Thanksgiving books!

•I am Thankful for the Seasons!
Go on a walk, enjoy nature, the colors, etc.

•I am Thankful for my Teeth!
Give Mom & Dad some Halloween candy and brush & floss

•I am Thankful for a Prophet!
Read a Conference talk or article in the church magazine by him! (If you are of a faith other than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, feel free to pick a different leader of a church or state).

•I am Thankful for my Home!
Clean out a hall, bedroom, or upstairs closet together--play music and have fun!

Comments