Arches National Park

Friday Flashback
The National Park Series - #2
This was the year we really started our tradition. Did you guess that we decided to go in alphabetical order, starting with the national parks in our home state? So, the very first one was Arches.
We went 4th of July weekend of 1985, and it was HOT - 111°, but I guess that just makes it memorable. It also seems like every trip we take I have to forget something. This trip it was the syrup for the pancakes and the camera. So, no pictures from the family album, but I did find some to share. And if you want more, here's the official site: Arches NPS.
The typical schedule is to set up camp, explore the visitors' center, drive all the roads in the park, and then start hiking trails. So, that's what we did.
We started at the Devil's Garden trailheadand all hiked to Landscape Arch. (Well, the adults hiked and the kids got carried.)While Weston and I rested at the arch, Wayne carried David further along the trail to Dark Angel. It wouldn't have been bad at all if it wasn't so hot, but he came back exhausted, so that was it for that day. Fortunately our campground had a swimming pool and we were able to cool down a bit and soothe our sunburns. The next day Wayne hiked to the famous Delicate Arch, and then we all did a few overlooks and super short trails. Our visit to Arches was a short vacation, but overall it was a nice one.
And just to give you an idea of how old the boys were, here are pictures taken soon after we got home again. David practicing his standing skills (7 months old).Weston listening to Aunt Julie's Walkman (2 years old).

Comments

Delirious said…
We made that trip too and really enjoyed it. I think we went during cooler weather though because I seem to remember a picture of my son wearing a sweatshirt. We took our Chinese Friend with us and he helped carry kids. :)
Meg said…
What happened to Weston's eye? He told me that he was always getting himself injured, so I guess this is proof!

Those pictures made me want to go again with Weston- I love Arches.

Love you!
LaVonne said…
Beautiful pictures! I think that sounds like a great tradition. And with two small kids? Good job! ;)