WFMW - Hooded Towels

Works For Me Wednesday
Hooded Bath Towels
or A Simple Baby Gift

Last week I attended a baby shower for a friend, and I was reminded that I learned how to make these hooded bath towels. They're nice for babies, but they're almost even better for toddlers. Who wouldn't love running around with a super-man cape flowing behind? Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of my little ones doing just that - but I did convince my teenager to pose with one draped on her head so you can get an idea of the finished product. So, here's how to make one yourself. You'll need a wash cloth and a bath towel. Fold the wash cloth down 1/3 of the way (right sides together) and sew a diagonal seam. Like this:If you want to measure, it was about 3 1/2" and at a 45° angle. Then trim the seam (or you can serge it). On the opposite side, make a little pleat. To do this, fold the wash cloth in half (right sides together) at the center. Put a pin about 2" in. Bring the center point into the pin and flatten everything out. It's a little tricky to explain, and even trickier to take pictures of, but the finished step looks like this on the inside:and this on the outside:
Baste that and your washcloth now looks like this:
Make a similar pleat in the center of the long edge of the towel. This time, however, place the pin 4" from the center so you get a bigger pleat. Then pin the washcloth to the towel, right sides together, and matching the center points.
Sew it together and you're done! Except you should turn the hood right-side-out. Well, this is what works for me. I try to keep a few in the closet for last-minute baby gifts. Of course, now my closet is empty, so it's time to stock up again! Do you have any other fun baby gift ideas to share? And if you're looking for more inspiration and motivation, be sure to check out
You'll find hundreds of great ideas. Enjoy your summer!!

Comments

Rennie said…
That is so cool and I bet Damian is enjoying running around in his hooded bath towel!
Cara said…
Those are great gifts! I'm sure the mamas-to-be will love them. Homemade is better for towels, the hooded ones at the store are usually flimsy and sad
More Than Words said…
LOL..did he run off w/ it afterward? My kids have a hooded batman towel and they love it!!
Belkycita said…
Wow! Thanks I have been wanting to make one, my girls love them.
Elena was gifted an Elephant one and I want to recreated it ;-)
I have just started making, nursing covers and giving them as gifts. They are easy to make and I find them life savers ;-)
Niki Jolene said…
That is so so cool!

:)
momstheword said…
Well, it's nice to know we have lots in common, who knew? I'm not so crazy about my pink and white tile anymore as it's kind of limiting. But I'd love to see pix of your cabinets. Sound pretty!

Great tutorital. I don't sew nor have a machine but you make it look so easy!
Heather said…
Great idea! I'll have to pass this along to my sewing friends.
Amy said…
too funny, Rennie! But I did think that once my boys see it they will want one of their own, so thanks for making one for Merin and posting the directions so that now I can make ones for them! You're so crafty!!