Happy Birthday to You, Steven!

Steven's 16 today! It's so hard to believe. You would think that after having several other sons turn 16 I would be used to it, but I'm not. My baby's growing up! He's going to go get his driver's license in an hour!! Fortunately, he's still a momma's boy (although I probably shouldn't put that out for the world to see). However, he's also really good about being independent when he needs to. (For example, I was sure I'd have to go to kindergarten with him, but he walked in all by himself.) We're thrilled to have him around for a few more years.At 9 pounds, 3 ounces, he wasn't necessarily a little baby, but compared to his brothers he was tiny. (Sorry for the dark pictures.) 1997 - 4 years old. That's an R2-D2 cake. Steven likes Star Wars. Even today his favorite gift was a Star Wars video game. 2001 - 8 years old. By this time I had learned that Steven doesn't like frosting! That's Cool Whip in the middle just so that candles look prettier for me.
2005 - 12 years old. Old enough to able to express a preference for "really, I mean it, no frosting!" So, here's his favorite Jello Cake sans Cool Whip.
2009 - 16 years old. Steven got his ice cream cake. We should have made it the day before, because the chocolate topping wasn't frozen enough. So, it doesn't look pretty and I have a placemat to clean, but it was delicious! And no frosting!! (And yes, we're party poopers and only put one candle in the cake. But we didn't want to exacerbate the melting mess.)

Comments

Delirious said…
I don't blame him, I'm not a big frosting fan either, although I do like cool whip. :)
Melissa said…
Happy Birthday Steven and Congratulations Becky on your new Driver! Even though you only have left at home, I know that extra driver is a big help when they are going in opposite directions. I hope to have one someday (although Chelsea is in no hury and says she is waiting until she's 40...just in time to drive me to my nursing home! lol )
Dave said…
the top right picture in the picture collage is really funny... weston and brad look absolutely thrilled with steven. jeff and i look like we're thinking things through. i'm not saying jeff and i didn't want steven around, but it seems weston and brad knew from day one they'd have another video gamer to play with. haha!