WFMW - Haircuts

Works for Me Wednesday
Home Haircuts

I mentioned in an earlier WFMW post that one of the ways we save money is to give haircuts at home. It's much easier with teenagers (assuming you can agree on a style) than with wiggly toddlers. We solved the wiggling problem by making it a two-person job. While I did the cutting, someone else would keep popping M&M's into the child's mouth. If they wiggled, they didn't get the candy.I figured it was worth revisiting the subject, because it works even better for me when I'm not the one doing the work! Steven was due for a haircut. For the past couple of years Jeff's been cutting his own hair, and he was ready to branch out and try his hand on someone else's head. Steven accepted the challenge to be guinea pig, although he didn't go so far as to allow the style to stop at a mohawk:Ready for summer!!If you want to give it a try, here's a site that has some basic directions: Tips for a Home Hair Cut. And check out We are THAT Family if you're looking for more ideas to make life easier and simpler.

Comments

Frugal Sara said…
Now that it is almost summer I will be giving my younger 2 boys haricuts at home also. It saves a lot of money!
Delirious said…
I've been cutting my boys' hair for years. I actually don't think the haircuts are that great, but we do save a ton of money!!
Suz said…
I've been cutting Hubby's hair since we were first married... couldn't afford haircuts, so I learned to do it myself. He was more than willing and trusting... poor guy. Now he and the little guy both get buzz cuts most of the time at home and we don't even think about it as saving money since it's something we've always done.`
Sharon said…
I started cutting the boys' hair and hubs' hair about a year ago. I've got the basic cut down pat....I would like to try something a bit different for our oldest boy but don't want to do a "bowl cut". We'll keep at it! And I love that I don't have to get to a salon, fight the youngest to sit still, apologize that he won't and then PAY FOR IT! :)
Meg said…
You didn't mention that you are the FASTEST ever hair cutter I've ever seen! It still takes me about 40 minutes to cut Weston's. Someday I hope to be as efficient as you!
momstheword said…
We use the Flowbee to cut my hubby and my son's hair. Has saved lot of money over the years. Then we use a razor to trip up the back.

Funny, but our boys like to get a "summer" haircut too, although not to sure how short they will go this summer.