The Wonders of Technology

Flashback Friday:
The Ultrasound Visit

This memory was triggered by reading my friend's post on the results of their sonogram. Just like them, we had two boys and were expecting our third baby. By that time (unlike with the first two), it was standard procedure to have an ultrasound done, and if the baby cooperated, the technician could tell you whether it was a boy or girl. Wayne and I discussed whether we wanted to know or not, and he was very adamant that he liked the element of surprise and didn't want to know. I, on the other hand, figured I lived in the 20th century (which it was then) for a reason, and thought I would like the extra time to gather pink or blue instead of yellow, so I was ambivalent.

I was still ambivalent when I walked into the doctor's office. Once things were set up, the conversation with the technician went something like this:
Tech: "So, do you want to know if it's a boy or girl?"
Me: "Well, my husband doesn't want to know and I --"
Tech: "It's a boy."
Me: "haven't decided yet."
I guess Brad wanted me to be prepared.

It was actually kind of fun to have that little secret. Wayne was positive we were having a girl and that provided a lot of private humorous moments for me. The experience was so neat that I asked to know for the next three babies as well. (Michelle didn't cooperate so she was a surprise.) And I kept that secret for years, but now you all know.



It's not a baby (or even pre-baby) picture, but this is one of my favorite pictures of Brad - "helping" wash the car at about 18 months. He's definitely all boy!

Comments

lrbodine said…
Ironic that your one girl wouldn't show herself! And funny that you had a secret the whole time.

I still remember when my mom had my last brother Kevin. With all the others, she had never found out what she was having. But she knew the last one would be a boy becuase of the ultrasound. Of course I was still convinced at 8 years old that I was finally going to get my sister.... no matter how much my mom tried to convince me otherwise!
Amy said…
I don't know how you were able to keep those juicy little secrets to yourself! I was picking out pink paint that same day!