WFMW - What's for Dinner?

Works for Me Wednesday
Menu Planning
Because I love trying new recipes, I've aIways had a problem with menu plans that repeat week after week. However, because there are so many wonderful choices, I had a hard time narrowing things down and actually choosing what to eat for dinner. I finally developed something that "works for me!" Each day has a different category, and then I find a recipe to fit. Here's the outline I've used for years:

Sunday - meat and potatoes
Monday - soup and/or salad
Tuesday - pasta/Italian
Wedneday - eggs/leftovers
Thursday - rice/Oriental
Friday - other/Mexican
Saturday - sandwiches

Actually, when I first developed this, it was a monthly plan (which you can find here) where I further divided the daily categories. For example, "Mexican" was burritoes, tamales, fajitas, and tacos. And I still try to not have spaghetti every Tuesday, but I can if I want! The weekly plan is just easier to remember.

As an interesting note, the summer of 2005 I posted this plan in the kitchen, and expanded it to include breakfast and lunch. The first Wednesday of the school year came, and I was getting ready to fix pancakes or scrambled eggs, when all the kids said, "But we're supposed to have cold cereal on Wednesdays!" That's how traditions start!!
Remember to go over to "We are THAT Family" to find more ideas being shared.

Comments

Holly said…
You've reminded me that I used to do something very similar, but had forgotten about it. It sure made things easier; I should try it again.
Thanks for commenting on my blog :)
momstheword said…
This is a great idea. I used to do theme nights but have got away from it. Maybe I should rethink things!

Loved your "reverance" chair idea. We used to do "couch therapy" when the boys weren't getting along.

We'd make them sit on the couch and hold hands (no talking) for about five or ten minutes. They very quickly learned to get along, lol!
Lana said…
That is kind of how we do meals around here. Breakfast is always on Thursdays. :)

Thanks for leaving a kind comment on my kitchen re-do! Come back anytime!
Sandwiched said…
I love this idea! I'm trying to get more disciplined about meal planning, and was planning to just fake my way through it. Now I can have a Plan! Regimented enough to give me structure, but flexible enough so we don't get bored.

*mwah!* Thanks!
Beckstrand7 said…
That's the kind of plan that simplified my life tremendously! Mine is very similar, but I have a "Nels' night" when I get to fix what Nels especially likes, and the kids can't complain, 'cause it's Dad's night. (Of course, lucky me, he likes everything anyway.)
Belkycita said…
THANK YOU!
I have been wondering what changes I need to make. I have been having a hard time in the kitchen. I am going to try it and hope it works for me too.
Thanks again, you know you are part of our plan now, some desperate day I'll call you for advice.