Music in Elementary School

Flashback Friday

Playing an instrument


I spent most of last Friday with Michelle at "Solo and Ensemble" - a program put on by our school district where the students have a chance to sing before an adjudicator, either alone or in a group. Michelle caught Steven's head cold on Thursday, so was feeling kind of miserable, but she sang anyway and overall it was a good experience. And it reminded me that I ought to inform my kids that I (at least at one time) know how to play more than just the piano and organ.

In our school district, you could choose to learn how to play an instrument once you were in 4th grade. So, I picked the clarinet, just like my best friend. We had fun getting out of class for 30 minutes once a week (or whatever it was.) After a few weeks had passed, the music teacher told me I was progressing nicely and that there was a school-owned oboe not being used that I could try if I wanted.

So, I did. The main difference between the oboe and clarinet is the difference in reeds - the clarinet has a single reed and the oboe has a double reed. Apparently, the double reed is harder to play. I imagine I caused my parents many headaches from my squeaking, but eventually I got the hang of it. It was kind of fun playing a "different" instrument. (There aren't very many oboe players in elementary school.) I continued playing the oboe in band until the end of 8th grade, when we moved and I had to turn it back into the school district.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I played the Clarinet! I played in 7th grade and quit, but all my friends stayed in band so when I was a Jr my Dad talked the director into letting me back in...I had so much fun!
Melissa said…
I played the Clarinet too! Proud member of The Brunswick High School "Dragon" band for 2 years! lol Brad actually bought me one a few years ago. I haven't played much though. Wish I still had my old Vito!
Meg said…
That's so neat! I LOVE the way the oboe sounds. It was so great to talk to you for a little bit yesterday. I love you!