How We Met - part five

During my second year at BYU I made plans to drive home for Christmas with a friend. We ran into a problem when she wasn’t going to be able to leave until the day after I had to vacate my dorm. Auntie came to the rescue! By this time she had moved to Provo to be closer to her daughter, and she invited me to spend that couple of days with her.

(my roommates the fall of 1981)
In the meantime, Louise Whitaker had been keeping in contact through the yearly Christmas card with her bishop in San Jose, who happened to be my dad. As my mom opened the card that December, she realized that the Whitakers lived next door to Aunt Mabel. I was given the assignment to go over in person to wish them a Merry Christmas.

(the Whitaker's house in Provo)

I spent the morning helping Auntie clean house, all the while dreading the prospect of talking to strangers, yet knowing if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to face my parents. Finally, I got the courage to go next door and ring the doorbell. Sister Whitaker was so gracious! I was invited in to sit on the pink velvet couch (in my dirty jeans) and offered candy. After a short visit, I left, but not before my name and phone number were added to their address book – “because we like to keep track of our friends’ kids at BYU.”

So I went home for the holiday with a clear conscience, after once again learning the lesson that “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

(Technically the family picture was taken the Christmas before, but I didn't remember that until I looked at the date on the back - 31 December 1980. Even if it's not quite accurate, this is how I remember my family that year anyway.)

Comments

Belkycita said…
here is where the juicy part starts :-)
Which one is you on the family photo and I really like that purple dress, it is so back in style!
simply kris said…
Hi Becky! It's Kris, Harlene's "friend" through blogging. Here's a funny. On Dec. 31, 1980~ I turned 8!

I love family photos! You all look so posh and fab!
Becky said…
Roommates: DeeAnn, me, and Aileen in back, and Tawnia, Linda, and Allison in front.

Family: Benjamin, Ida, Dad, Mom, George and Louise standing, then me, Holly, Richard and Scott on the grass.
Melanie said…
Becky,

Thank you for posting this. I know we're technically not related, but by getting to know you more through your blog I feel we are. I don't know that you'll ever have occasion to visit the North West, but I hope you know our home is open to you anytime.
Beckstrand7 said…
Okay girl, you've left us hanging! I spent last night coming up with all these images of what happens next!

BTW, you may want to put a "label" on each of these posts, so that you can sort by the label "How we Met", or "Courtship" or something else. (Usually the fewer words the better.) I want to be able to click on the label, and get all the posts on this ongoing story! :)