Comforting Counsel

This experience fits the “Memorable Monday Moments” theme because my grandfather’s funeral was Monday, March 14, 1994 and we attended that as a family. In addition, if I haven’t shared this story as part of a family night lesson, I should have!

As a teenager I had the privilege of receiving my patriarchal blessing from my grandfather, Vernard L. Beckstrand. One of my favorite lines read “You shall always know exactly what you should do, where you should go, and how you should conduct yourself.” That brought me a lot of comfort as I faced the major decisions that come with growing up. So, fast forward to 1994 and the funeral. Uncle Kraig spoke on how Grandfather loved being a patriarch, and particularly telling people that they could always know what to do. I was crushed! That thought was supposed to be just for me! I felt just plain ordinary, and I didn’t like that feeling. In discussions with cousins afterwards, I learned that they had the same feelings – that that statement brought them tremendous comfort and support, and it was a little disheartening to learn it was shared, but even that, in the end, was kind of neat as well.

(3 brothers - Thane, Shelley, Kraig)

Several months later I was reading 2 Nephi 32 and verse 5 popped out at me. “If ye receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.” That’s how Grandfather could make that promise to all of us. Heavenly Father made it to all of us. We can all always know what to do and where to go and what to say, if we will just keep the commandments so we’re worthy of the Spirit’s guidance. So, once again, my attitude changed. I am really grateful for this principle, and I’m extremely glad it’s not limited to me. It’s nice to know that everyone can have this blessing.

(Shelley's grandchildren - 1994)

Comments

Harlene said…
Thank you for sharing that. Yes, Chris' does say the same thing, but having the scriptural reference means so much. I have a family member who could use this lesson tonight.

Apparently you do know what you should do!
Belkycita said…
thank you so much for sharing something so special. Isn't it cool though that Heavenly Father loves us so much and that individually let us know what to do?
I love this Gospel because it feels personal, a true relationship with my father in Heaven.
Thanks again for sharing, I'm going now to read my Patriarchal Blessing.
Shayla said…
Thank you for sharing. I enjoy learning so much from your every day thoughts. You have always been such a great "teacher" in everything you do. Thank heaven for bloggersphere so we can stay connected at such distances. It is so great to follow your family and see them grow. Sure love ya