Time for Introspection

(Warning: this may be a long entry, but I hope it's edifying and encouraging!)

A couple of months ago I was released as a seminary teacher. All of a sudden I didn't have anything all-consuming to occupy me and I was feeling just a touch lost. I turned to the latest general conference report to seek direction, and these are the phrases that jumped out at me in just the first few talks:

"We cannot be released as parents." (Elder Nelson)
"Bring up your children in light and truth." (D&C 93:40)
"Our personal journey through life provides us with many special experiences that become building blocks of faith and testimony." (Elder Rasband)
"What is the legacy we are giving our children?" (Sister Lant)
"We must hand down to future generations a foundation of faith." (Elder Johnson)
"Give encouragement, service, and support to your loved ones." (Elder Wirthlin)

I've been pondering how to apply this counsel to children that are no longer living with us, and I finally received an answer, or at least one of them. I had already decided to read the New Testament this summer in preparation for the new seminary year. The first thing that came to my mind in June was to continue to do that. We'll have two seminary students and I'm still their parent, and I can be available (and prepared!) as a very last minute substitute if necessary. Since they don't have their driver's licenses yet, I'll still be up to get them to the church on time anyway!!

Well, last week I finished the New Testament and it was time to get more direction. I decided to think about it as I prepared dinner, but was prompted to actually have a "kneel by the bed in the middle of the afternoon" prayer. I probably shouldn't be amazed at the results, but I was. I had two questions "How can I best help build the kingdom of God on earth?" and "What should I be looking for as I read the Book of Mormon through this time?" What was amazing was that I instantly realized that the second question was the answer to the first question, which then became the answer to the second question. (It doesn't matter if that makes sense to you, because it makes sense to me.) So then, while putting dinner on the table, I was able to define four areas of focus which for me entail "building the kingdom of God" and that is to help strengthen my immediate family, my extended family, my ward family, and my friends or extended church family.

With those thoughts in mind, I started with 1 Nephi 1:1 last Monday. I thought then that this blog would be a good forum for sharing those thoughts with my immediate family, since most of them aren't around for dinner table converstions, but I resisted that at first. It just seemed to be too public. However, the thought wouldn't go away. And I have learned that that means something!

I may not be able to nurture my grown children physically, but I can try to nurture them spiritually. I want a place for my children to go to receive encouragement when they're feeling down, to remember what they felt when they were living at home, and to know that they are always greatly loved, by both their earthly and heavenly parents.

So, that will be my audience for my "Scripture Study Insights" entries. If anyone else benefits from what write (and I actually do hope my thoughts are helpful for anyone who checks or stumbles across this blog), that's just an added bonus.

Comments

Delirious said…
Well, I think I had some of those same questions that I prayed about and guess what...

I've been called to teach seminary. :)
Beckstrand7 said…
Oh, I can't wait! Thanks for sharing with all of us, we can all benefit. Also, I was wondering what they were teaching in Seminary this year, since our oldest STARTS 9th grade next week! You answered it for me, thanks.