Trying something new

Every summer it feels like crazy parents are trying to get their kids into stuff other than sleeping in and video games. Maybe this will be the summer to try that. This is the Jeff-bomb attempting to create at least a portion of entertainment to our local bloggers. If it's funny I might do more, but if it isn't I'll just blame my mom and say she made me do it. (I can only sleep and play video games so much in one day...)

So, my first story I think will be about what went on while everyone else was camping. It's true, I was home alone for like 9 days living it up. It was awesome. But it was different than usual. Usually when my mom goes out of town she makes the house super clean and prints out these awesome charts with every day and every thing I would need to do. This time she didn't do that and I spent the first day trying to figure out where the dishes went. She left a drainer full of dishes. Big mistake. The problem is when I'm home alone if I get something out, I know where to put it away. I don't know the last time I made a cassorol and I really don't know where it goes when it's clean. And to make it worse, all these dishes I guess where to put them away I forget where I put them origionally 9 days later when my mom wants to know where they are. On the bright side, that's about as bad as it got while the fokes were out of town.

What else happened? Oh, church was great! Everyone wanted to know where the bishop was, so I gave them a sad story about how they're camping and they left me nothing but Top Ramen and Salteen crackers. I probably got about 6 meals from the families of 3 buddies. I even got some leftovers which lasted even longer. You see, the problem wasn't that there wasn't food, it's just a pain (in my opinion) to cook for yourself. But heck, It was good practice for the future when mom isn't around.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the night when I accidentally pulled an all-nighter. It was Sunday's fault. On Sunday I woke up, went to church, took a nap, ate dinner (at a friend's house), and then some more meetings. The point of that is I slept a whole lot when I wasn't tired and I used about 100 Calories walking the whole day. So that night I try to go to bed. I can't and because I'm a nerd and there's NO ONE around I play myself a spectacular adventure via the Gameboy. Then I try to go to sleep later. I did this 3 times and gave up at about 3 AM. What does a teenager do at 3 AM? Well, I already played my video games and I couldn't sleep, so I ate breakfast, cleaned the whole area of the house I was using, blasted my music, read the morning paper, and gave myself a haircut. I actually mowed myself a mo-hawk, but it only lasted about 30 seconds. I have a picture on my phone, we'll see if I can't get it uploaded. So at about 6 I ran out of things to do and believe it or not I was waiting for the sun to come up so I could take a load of yard waste to the county dump. One weird night.

So by the end of the week I found myself actually missing my family. it was so quiet I would find myself yelling random phrases just to hear noise. I even found myself texting some of my friends (and believe me, I'm the slowest texter on the planet and I rarely do it). But at one point I was so lonely I found myself mowing the grass and having a textversation at the same time. I don't know how people drive and text at the same time because I could walk faster than our mower and i was still cutting crooked. I bet it would have been funny to see though, some dork on his orange mower texting in one hand and trying to both steer and swat bugs with the other, listening to the oldes most ghetto mp3 player in existance.

Well, maybe this was funny, maybe it wasn't. I might devote the next one to making fun of Steven. Or an update on the Bishop, who still has yet been to Africa...

Comments

Damian said…
Nice Jeff. I think you're funny. This is just a suggestion from an accomplished blogger, but I think your blog would have been better if you had included a picture of your teeth.
Beckstrand7 said…
Yeah, we get to hear from Jeff at more than just the end of year letter! Love the story of the poor Bishop's son left home with only ramen & crackers!

Now all we need is the pic of the mowhawk!
Shayla said…
Fun you found us and to see your family! I can't believe how long it has been since we have all moved away, your kids are so old now! Thank you for your words of encouragement!