Happy Pioneer Day!

In honor of Pioneer Day, I decided to do a little research on which of our ancestors crossed the plains to Utah between 1847 and 1868. I thought I had done this a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find my notes. Hopefully, I'll do a better job of filing and remembering this time! Here's where I started the search: Pioneers who came across the plains. My kids already know about their 4th great-grandpa George who was in the Edward Hunter Company of 1847 with John Taylor.


However, they had another 4th great-grandpa George who also made the trek. Here's a history of George Washington Hickerson who was in the Willard Richards Company of 1848 with his wife, Sarah, and their oldest children.



Another 4th-great grandfather was John President Porter. He was part of the Charles C. Rich Company of 1847.








And because I know my cousins might be interested in their relatives, here's a history of Karl Johan Beckstrand who was in the Samuel Wooley Company of 1861 with his brother Elias. Altogether I counted 22 direct line ancestors of our children who were considered Mormon Pioneers. I appreciate that heritage and I hope my kids do too!


Comments

Hello Whitakers!!! I'm excited to see you have a blog and it looks really cute! Love catching up with you all!
Beckstrand7 said…
What a great & logical idea for Pioneer Day! Beats picnics. We did have a nice discussion about what happened 61 years ago that day over fried chicken & watermelon. Although we are in Utah, it was a regular work day still for some...but we did watch the parade in the morning and picnic (in the kitchen) later after I got back from work.