Memorial Day Weekend - 2016

To start off the three-day weekend, we went back to Jonathan Dickinson State Park so Wayne could do the portion of the Ocean-to-Lake trail that is within the park boundaries. That meant finding where the trail crossed the highway, but we found it!


On my way to our meeting place - the picnic area in the park - I stopped to explore the tower at Hobe Mountain. Eventually we'll check it off of Wayne's list, but I didn't want to wait until then to satisfy my curiosity, and I'll definitely enjoy visiting that area of the park again. I tried finding the trail he was hiking, but without success. The views were gorgeous, and I pretty much had the place to myself. That was kind of nice.

It was located near Camp Murphy. Can you see it hiding in the distance?



View from the top - see the ocean in the distance?

Looking down to the parking lot.

I did a little bit of exploring back at the picnic area as well. It was just a beautiful day!


Wayne enjoyed his hike, but unfortunately you don't get any pictures from it. It'd been a wet spring, so he had to wade through quite a bit of water. He was fine, but his boots need to be retired. Fortunately, he already has a replacement pair broken in, and he was smart enough to take his old pair knowing they'd probably get ruined.



Can't leave without taking some pictures of the beautiful Loxahatchee River!


Sunday, Michelle flew home for a visit, so she got to join us on Monday's hike, which was Loop 2 at DuPuis Wildlife Management Area. Once again it was a beautiful day. Our feet got a bit wet, but it wasn't too bad, and we got to see a lot of beautiful flowers and even some birds.

She took her car on its first adventure!


 

 






Six miles wasn't too long, but we were ready for lunch and a rest when we finished!
If you're interested in taking this hike yourself, you can find a map here, and more information here.


We finished up the weekend's festivities with a yummy Mexican dinner. I guess that's not the typical holiday fare barbecued burger, but it was still delicious, and I didn't have to cook!

Comments