The Tale of Our Wedding

I realized that I never followed through with my idea to share stories of our wedding originally mentioned on our anniversary last year. Oops! Finishing things is something I'm still working on, but even if I only remember for a month or two once a year, that's better than nothing, right?
In honor of our anniversary, today you get the story of the actual wedding, which took place in the Oakland Temple. I'm not sure what time I was supposed to arrive, but it's supposed to take two hours to drive from Hollister to Oakland, my parents and I left at 6 AM, and due to heavy traffic we made it just in time. However, I didn't have time to eat breakfast. That must have made an impression because in my journal I noted that on my wedding day I ate exactly five soda crackers (that must have been breakfast), a ham sandwich, some grapes and half a can of soda (lunch in the temple parking lot) and one bite of cake and a glass of punch at the reception (what a nutritious dinner). Note to future brides - keep some granola bars handy!

Although others tried to tell me it would make for a long day (and they were right, it does) I wanted to receive my endowment and get married on the same day. For some reason I felt that would make it more special, and I'm glad I did. It was a wonderful day. I felt prepared, everything felt natural and made sense, and I felt that I had come home. I hope everyone feels that way in the temple. It was an absolutely beautiful day in every way.

We were sealed by the temple president, R. Don Smith, who counseled us to keep a sense of humor, watch out for pride and selfishness, return to the temple often and always remember our prayers. That's good advice, and I think we've done pretty good with following it.

Afterwards we spent time taking pictures on the temple grounds (and eating that picnic lunch) before heading back to Hollister for the reception that evening, but that's a story for another day.
Exiting the temple
Greeting those who waited outside
With our parents and siblings
With both sets of my grandparents

I still love to see the temple, and I'm grateful I can go inside. I'm thankful for covenants and eternal families. "The temple is a house of God, a place of love and beauty."

Comments