- Teenagers are delightful.
- There's something special about seven year olds.
- Interruptions are part of the job description of motherhood.
- Mothers never feel like they're getting enough sleep.
As a new mother dealing with waking babies, I remember vividly wondering when they'd sleep through the night so that I could also. That day finally arrived, only for me to discover that while teenagers sleep through the night, they stay up late and wake up early! I still wasn't getting all the sleep I wanted. So, I figured once they were grown and gone, I'd be okay. Guess what? Now it's my own body that's the traitor, waking me up at 3 AM and refusing to go back to sleep.
Fortunately, none of these are every night occurences and I learned a long time ago that Heavenly Father is well aware of my limits. Invariably, I'll get a good night's sleep, not when I think I should have one, but just when He knows I need one.
- Heartache is a real physical symptom.
- Mothers really do have eyes in the back of their heads.
- Showing respect needs to go both directions.
- A mother needs to take time for herself.
No matter how much we love our children and want to be with them, we need to do something just for ourselves. At the top of the list should be personal prayer and scripture study, but it's also important to find the time to do other things we love. The amount of time we spend doing so will change during the various seasons of our lives, and we can definitely involve our children in some of these activities, but it's important.
In each passing mortal hour
All around me there is need
There are hearts that yearn, and tears that fall
And hungry souls to feed
I must seek the Spirit's wisdom
Learn compassion's gentle art
For I cannot give with empty hands
Nor love with barren heart
I will serve my Savior gladly
Seek his little lambs who stray
But if I would lead them safely home
I must know the way
I must seek for understanding
That I may serve his children well
If I seek to fill the soul athirst
I must first be filled
If I would bear my brother's burden
If I would share my sister's grief
Extend the hand of sweet compassion
Offer the weary ones relief
If I would ease the thirst of strangers
And serve His children heart and hand
I must drink of heaven's wells o'erflowing
I must learn to fill the well within
by Sally DeFord Fill the Well Within
- There truly is "no greater joy than to hear that [your] children walk in truth" (3 John 1:4).
- Motherhood is an incredible gift and opportunity.
Thank you, my dear children. I love you.