WFMW - The Laundry Room "Store"

Today's "Works for Me Wednesday" topic is Back-to-School Tips. One of the things I really disliked about the first week of school, was trying to find all of the supplies the teachers wanted. I mean, really, did the duo-tang folders (that's a new term we learned when we moved here!) really have to be orange and purple? What's the matter with red and blue? One year a teacher insisted on a notebook that contained exactly 200 pages and was the full 8 1/2 x 11" size, which of course didn't fit the description of the ones that were on sale for 10 cents! So, over the years, I've learned something to help prevent this personal frustration. Maybe this idea can help some of you, particularly if you're at the beginning of your school experience.

Stock up on school supplies when they're on sale!

Here's some of what's in our cupboard right now:
  • spare ink cartridges (this was last year's midnight trip to the store)
  • copy paper
  • colored cardstock
  • looseleaf binder paper
  • spiral notebooks
  • binders in different widths
  • composition books
  • duo-tang folders (in several colors!)
  • post-it notes
  • highlighters
  • markers
  • crayons
  • pens
  • pencils
  • colored pencils
  • erasers (several types)
  • glue and glue-sticks
  • poster board (couple of colors)
  • compass
  • ruler
  • paper clips
  • tape
  • scissors
  • and a spare science fair project board!

Another thing I've learned is that you don't always have to have everything exactly as it's on the list. Of course, no one wants their child to be different and difficult, but I've learned that most teachers really are reasonable. Communicate with them! Find out their reasoning for orange and purple folders. Use last year's composition book (use a utility knife to cut out the 10 pages they wrote on in September before deciding to use something else) or crayons (if they're still in good shape). Let them know ahead of time that errand day is Tuesday, so if your child needs something particular on Friday, you as the parent need to know on Monday, not Thursday. And I've found that if you can volunteer in the classroom, the teachers are much more willing to be flexible!

It took a while to build up our supply, but this year I didn't have to do any school shopping between open house and the first day of school. Everything the kids needed was already available at home. And it's fortunately been a long while since I've had to drive around town looking for a project board the day before the science fair!


Have fun learning!

Comments

Louise Hiatt said…
First of all I'm amazed your high school kids still get lists of supplies! As a teacher I really don't care much about what supplies they use as long as they have something to write with, something to write on, and something to keep it in -- and then TURN IT IN ON TIME!
Rennie said…
A long time ago I learned that the most important thing for my child to have were their own personal supplies. I NEVER send in any Purell, paper towels, or tissues, white board markers, etc.

I used to sell janitorial supplies to several school districts in Florida and saw how they chose to spend their money. If schools really thought those items were necessary they would purchase them.

This year Kelly has about 50 boxes of tissues in her supply closet and about 20 packs of colored paper left over from last year.

On Austin's supply list this year was a request for each child to bring 12 packs of pencils. That works out to over 3300 pencils. Is that REALLY necessary? I think not.
jenettew said…
It was when Sarah was starting middle school that I bought a couple of extra items at the time they were on sale and never ran out of supplies! I have a "store", but it is in a box in my bedroom closet. AND, I don't let anyone else get out supplies! This way, I know what is in there and won't be surprised when it is gone. . .

The only thing I did need to buy this year was a 2" binder. I had 1" an 1 1/2", but I guess there are many papers to collect in this one class. Sometimes, teachers require certain colors for different things~~therefore, always buy a few colors.

Hope your kids are enjoying school!