WFMW - Mother's Day Idea

Works for Me Wednesday
Helping the Kids Serve You
Technically, it's supposed to be a backwards edition of Works-for-Me Wednesday, but thankfully today I don't have any questions! And this little tip won't be quite as useful next week. Hope it helps someone :)

Like a lot families, our family has the tradition of fixing breakfast and dinner for mom on Mother's Day. I love it. And yet, I don't love chaos and commotion. So, a long time ago, I learned that if I wanted to have a relaxing Mother's Day, I needed to do some advance preparation. That means having the ingredients and supplies available for easy dishes. (We don't go to restaurants or the grocery store on Sunday, so that option's not available.)

For example, make sure there's milk in the fridge and cereal in the cupboard, or orange juice and cinnamon rolls handy. Have some bagged lettuce or deli-salads available. Put a lasagna or a pizza or steak to grill in the freezer. Stock up on your favorite "special" cookie or ice cream. It really doesn't matter, you can choose whatever you want. If it's easy for your 2 or 3 year old to fix you something, they'll want to do it year after year!
Because now my children are teenagers with some cooking skills, last year for Mother's Day I was served scrambled eggs and cinnamon cake for breakfast and Chicken Parmesan and Jello Cake for dinner. Both meals were delicious, and I didn't have to do anything. I'm looking forward to a repeat this year! But even though it may not be as necessary now, I'm not leaving anything to chance and my freezer is currently stocked with boneless chicken breasts, frozen vegies and a Candy Bar Pie. Happy Mother's Day to you all!

Remember to see what questions and tips everyone else is sharing over at We are THAT Family.

Comments

Lori Yoder said…
What a great idea!!! I love that you make so your day can be relaxing! I'd love it if you'd link to my Tuesday's Tips.

Thanks!
Lori Yoder said…
Hey I left you a comment on my blog, but I thought I'd do it here too, in case you don't check later;) Tips don't have to be frugal, they just need to help our family. It is great if they are frugal too, but anything in the kitchen or helping with our family is the one prerequisite!