WMFW - Flipping Mattresses

Works for Me Wednesday
Flipping the Mattress

The other day as I was changing sheets, I decided it had been a while since I'd flipped the mattress, so I did (waiting until someone with muscles came home from school to help), and I realized that sharing my system would make a great "Works for Me" idea. I hope it helps someone!
Fifteen years ago we needed to add a bed to our home in preparation for a new baby. Instead of buying a kid's bed, we decided to get a new one for us and pass everything else down. (That worked for us too!) We found something we both liked (firm yet soft) and I decided that I wanted to take good care of the mattress so I wouldn't have to go shopping for a new one for a long, long, long time. To me, that meant rotating and flipping it on a regular basis.

At the time I was using a card-file housecleaning system, so I just added a card to help me remember. But to help me remember which way to flip or rotate, I got out a sharpie and wrote on the mattress itself. I put a #1 in the center of the mattress near the headboard. When I flipped it a few months later, I put a #2 at the "new" center top. A few months later I rotated the mattress and wrote #3, and then finally put #4 in the last position.

Once I did that, I didn't have to remember whether it was a "flip" or "rotate" time (although there's a great idea for that here - spin in the Spring, flip in the Fall), I just moved the mattress so the next number was on top at the head of the bed. When I took the sheets off this time, #2 was at the top. and #3 was at the bottom. That meant it was time to "rotate".So, now #3 is at the head of the bed, and I can forget about it for a few months and just enjoy my "good as new" nice, comfortable bed each night.

That's what works for me. Have fun discovering what works for others over at We Are THAT Family!

Comments

妝狂 said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Great idea for keeping track. I wouldn't have thought about it :)

I arrived here through the link you left in my comments. Great job!
Sharon said…
That's brilliant! What a fun, simple and totally practical idea! And, once again I have to ask myself, why didn't I think of that?!

Hope you're having a great day!
Shayla said…
I always love your tips, but this is just genius! You are the perfect model "housewife"!
Mari said…
That is brilliant! I would have never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!
jenettew said…
I can't believe that someone else has taken a sharpie to their mattress! We have been doing this since we got out mattress about 15 years ago. It really works!
Clay & Sara said…
You are so creative! I always enjoy reading your posts :)
Melissa said…
Wonderful idea!!! OUr mattress is just supposed to be rotated but we haven't even done that. I did once but could tell I was on the wrong side of the bed. Bothered me. LOL

http://coffeewithme.com