WFMW - Trying New Recipes

Works for Me Wednesday
Trying New Recipes, and more

Every family has unique food stories. One of ours concerns the dad's dislike, even hatred, of brussel sprouts. He's always said that even if he was starving he would never eat them. And to honor his preference, I've served brussel sprouts maybe twice in over 25 years (and even that was when he was out of town). However, I kind of like brussel sprouts. My mom served them occasionally and I don't have any psychologically scarring memories of them. So, the other day when I read a newspaper article on "foods you detested as a child because they weren't cooked right" - with brussel sprouts included on the list - I decided it was time to give them a try again. So, we did.

The authors pointed out that we had probably eaten them boiled to death, and so of course they would be mushy and yucchy. Instead, they suggested coating them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic, and roasting them in the oven. This is what they looked like before baking:And this is what they looked like 30 minutes later: I thought they were delicious. The teenagers ate a few without complaining, but have no desire to have them again any time soon. The dad said it was a good thing he WAS really hungry, because that meant he was willing to try them. Brussel sprouts are still on his "most hated food" list. Hey, I tried. And I am perfectly happy to eat the leftovers all by myself.

We like trying new recipes. I've discovered this past year that I really like roasted vegetables. Tonight we're having Roasted Turnips, Sweet Potatoes, Apples and Dried Cranberries. I don't expect the rest of the family to enjoy it, but it looked like an intriguing way to use the turnips that came in the co-op basket last week. Most importantly, at the very least it will provide an additional story to add to the family memory bank. And that's what works for me!

Remember to check out We are THAT Family for lots of fun ideas of things that work.

Comments

We use that method when cooking broccoli, carrots, green beans, all kinds of recipes.
Hannah said…
Yes, great tip! We've also found that we love all sorts of vegetables when they're roasted. My kids adore beets prepared this way. Something I want to try this spring: roasted radishes. I never would have thought of it, but just read another blog where someone was raving about it.
Brad said…
Dad must really love you.