Lunch-box Tip

Works for Me Wednesday
This is kind of a "two in one" idea, but as I was preparing lunches the other day I realized that someone else might appreciate this little tip we discovered years ago.

When I sent whole apples in my children's lunch boxes, they often came home uneaten (and therefore bruised), or with just a bite or two taken out. That was a lot of waste. So, I started cutting them up. (Then, I could give just half an apple if that's all that was needed.) But who wants to eat yucky brown apples? Squirting them with lemon juice solved that problem. And since it's cheaper to buy lemon juice in a large container, and I didn't like hauling it out every morning, we re-purposed a soy sauce container. Personally, I think it would look much nicer with a yellow cap, but I've learned to not let the red cap bother me too much.


So, that's what works for us. To get more ideas, head on over to We Are THAT Family!

Comments

Sheila said…
You can also sprinkle them with cinnamon (plain, not cinnamon/sugar mixed). It adds a nice flavor and either keeps them from turning brown or you can't tell. :) My kids love this.
Rebecca said…
how cute that the red cap bothers you! There was something that looked strange about your lemon juice bottle, and I think you nailed it with mentioning the cap color. However, it works! (for you on Wednesday, hmm?)

Nice looking family. As I scrolled down the page looking at pictures, I was thinking that you're awfully outnumbered. By the time I got to HS Student #2, I realized that she just has lots of guys to look out for her.
Anonymous said…
A little lemon does deter the browning, but my kids won't eat sliced apples. I core little bitty apples and send those instead. The center browns a little, but they don't mind and they'll eat the whole thing. If I send one un-cored, they eat just the tiniest bit around the outside, leaving so much untouched!