Foil Dinners

Works for Me Wednesday
Foil Dinners

Because it's a new month, this week's "Works for Me Wednesday" has a theme - easy summer meals. When I think of summer, I think of camping. And when I think of camping, I think of foil dinners. I took these pictures off of my son's camera, so he must have learned something before he went off to college.

The idea behind a foil dinner is fairly simple. Take whatever you want - we usually use a chicken breast, some chopped up potatoes, onions, and carrots, a dab of butter and some cream of mushroom soup - and fold it up in some foil. Plop it in the fire pit and wait for it to cook. Then open it up and eat it.
However, after having burned and/or undercooked vegetables the first few times we tried this, we discovered a few tricks. Here's what works for us:

1) Make sure the vegetables are cut in small pieces. When you're starving, you don't feel like waiting to eat. And fires don't cook carrots as fast as microwaves.

2) Place the butter on the foil, then the meat, then the vegies, then the soup. Don't forget salt and pepper or other seasonings.

3) After wrapping in heavy-duty foil once, cover it with wet paper towels, then wrap in foil again. This is our "secret ingredient!" And it really works to prevent burned foil dinners.

4) Be patient. Wait for the flames to die down so you can use the hot coals.
There you have it. Foil dinners work for us. (They can even be done at home in the oven - no messy pots to clean up!) If you want more fun ideas, visit We are THAT Family!

Comments

Rennie said…
I love foil dinners! I'm hoping to camp more once we get to Texas. You're brave for willingly camping in Florida.
Jennifer said…
I absolutely LOVE foil dinners! We always made it with ground beef though. I'll have to give chicken a shot!
Belkycita said…
My favorite!!! sometimes I just wish I could eat them without the camping.
Meg said…
Mom- thanks for this! I just made them tonight, even though we are not camping. YUM! :)