Scars

Memorable Monday Moments

While reading Alma 36 again, I was reminded of an additional experience that I forgot to record in the scripture insight post. A few years ago I was asked to speak in sacrament meeting on Easter Sunday. We spent the week before camping at Everglades National Park. While there Steven got a little too close to the fire and burned himself.As I was helping him take care of the burn, I was reminded that I had burned myself a few months earlier, but hadn’t thought about it for a very long time. I had to search to find the scar from that burn, but it was still there. Steven and I also found the scar on my finger caused when I was his age. (That’s the FHE story idea – I was outside playing with my friends on a warm summer evening when my mom called to tell me to come inside. I talked her into letting me stay out for five more minutes. In that five minutes my finger was sliced by a swinging broom. Fortunately, the injury wasn’t too bad, but it did leave a scar. And whenever I notice it, I’m reminded of the importance of not only being obedient, but obeying quickly!)

Injuries and scars became the perfect introduction for my talk on the Atonement. Because of our Savior, the pain of our sins, mistakes, afflictions, and sorrows - whether noticeable to others or not - can be removed. They may still affect us somehow – leave a scar – but we can feel peace and comfort. I have felt that healing in my own life, and love the way the hymn puts it:

As I search the holy scriptures,
May thy mercy be revealed.
Soothe my troubled heart and spirit;
May my unseen wounds be healed.


We may be celebrating Christmas now and not Easter, yet I can be thankful year-round for my Savior and the peace I can feel because of His love for me.

Comments