Kitchen Krafts

Wacky Cake for Wacky Wednesday

We love The Friend! One day, many years ago, Weston decided to help make dinner using recipes from the Friend. This particular cake that he chose for dessert became a frequently used favorite. (The other make-in-the-pan recipes are good too.) I've discovered this recipe with other variations under the name "Wacky Cake" and I'm guessing maybe the name comes from the fact that there are no eggs in the recipe. That's one of the reasons we love this dessert - it's easy to take camping (try it in a dutch oven!) and even when we've run out of eggs we can have chocolate for dessert!Chocolate Tidbit Cake

1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
3 Tbls cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbls vinegar
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water
½ cup chocolate chips


Combine dry ingredients in 9” square pan. Stir in liquid ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. (Yummy with whipped cream on top.)

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what else was on Weston's dinner menu, but it could have been Chicken Foil Dinners or Turkey Divan and Potato Mounds.

Comments

Melissa said…
This is much like the double chocolate cake that my 11yo made for Mother's Day. Isn't it a great, easy, yummy recipe? My Betty Crocker cookbook lists about a half-dozen variations, but I haven't tried any but the original.
Unknown said…
I like that one because we always have these ingredients on hand! Easy! Yum!
annies home said…
will have to try this for the chocolate lovers in my house