How We Met - part ten

Flashback Friday
or "Officially Engaged"

The week after our first kiss covers over ten pages in my journal, but I won’t quote it all here. Let’s just say it contained a roller-coaster of emotions, lack of sleep and lots of phone calls and letters. (This was back in the day when long-distance phone calls were expensive!) While Wayne’s parents took the news calmly, mine were a little concerned - our very first chance to navigate the uncharted waters of in-law differences and wonder what we were getting ourselves into!

Monday was President’s Day. Wayne picked me up and we did some studying at the library before eating lunch at Burger King. He talked me into playing the organ for him, so we spent some time in the HFAC catacombs. After writing letters home, we went roller-skating with his FHE group, and then talked for hours and hours. We finally decided it would be a good idea to set a curfew for school nights.

My Aunt Cheri was in town for Women’s Conference the next weekend so we attended a few sessions together. She was at my apartment when Wayne came to pick me up for a dance that Friday and so got to meet him. Fortunately Cheri and Wayne decided they liked each other!

Saturday afternoon Wayne and I went on a picnic, then came back to my apartment to study and ended up washing the dishes and looking at ring catalogs instead. When I finally got started typing up some quotes for my Sunday School lesson, Wayne leaned over and said, “Will you marry me?” “Uh-huh.” “Don’t I get a yes?” “Yes!” So, that was our “official” engagement. Until that time, we were just “un-officially” engaged. I like being able to have two engagement dates – Valentine’s Day and then February 20th, which was exactly six months before our wedding date.

When my roommates got back – they had all gone to the Beach Boys concert – we let them in on our secret. The ones who didn’t already know were pretty surprised. Then we celebrated by having banana splits. I ended that day’s journal entry with this: “It was a wonderful evening and I really felt the Spirit confirming the rightness of our decision to me. Dad’s letter said that although I may not know Wayne all that well, the Lord does and he would let me know if it was right, and He did.”

Comments

Rennie said…
I have checked your blog no less than 4 times today wondering when you'd post the rest of the story!! LOL

Have to say I loved the entry. I was also impressed by the maturity with which you entered your engagement. Maybe I'll post an entry from my journal about our engagement. Maybe not? :)

Totally love your husband's outfit! The "Micheline Man" vest and the bell bottomy jeans...way to go!

At least your fiancee was into mostly natural fibers! I called Erik the "King of Polyester" and claim that I introduced him to cotton!
Harlene said…
That's a great story! I, too am impressed by the maturity with which you handled it all. Although young, I feel like a lot of us Mormons give it more thought and prayer than we ever get credit for.
Just Jones'n said…
One request that you please update your blog on Friday before half the day goes by!!! Mike thought that the picture of the two of you is Michelle and one of your boys...pick one any one will do. i can't wait to hear the rest of the story!
Delirious said…
I only knew my husband for about 4 months when we married. But we felt like you did; we felt that if we had the answer from the Lord that it was right, there was no need to wait. It worked for us. :)
Beckstrand7 said…
I like the picture - it's true to the early 80's. I'm very much enjoying this story too, thanks for sharing it!
Beckstrand7 said…
...And ditto what Grandfather said; what perspective!