How We Met - part nine

Flashback Friday
or Happy Valentine's Day




Saturday, February 13, 1982 arrived, and Wayne and I went to his stake Valentine’s Dance that evening. I’m sure it was a very nice dance, but I don’t remember that part at all. Afterward we drove around the Provo Temple a few times.


Then we parked and just sat looking at the temple while we talked and talked. Oh, and the romantic music was playing on the car stereo – the song I remember was “If” by Bread. We discussed a million and one subjects and just felt so comfortable together. As part of his preparation for finding a wife, Wayne had compiled a list of questions with the answers that he wanted. In the natural progression of our conversation, all those questions were asked and answered, and at the end he leaned over and said “I love you Becky” and I leaned over and kissed him. Because by then it was past midnight, we became “unofficially” engaged on Valentine’s Day. We decided it was still too new to share with anyone but our parents, but there must have been an obvious difference because as soon as I walked in my apartment my roommate wanted to know if I owed her any ice cream. (Is that still a BYU tradition? To treat your roommates to ice cream after a first kiss?) I told her I did, but not to tell anyone yet. Because she knew what that really meant, she was super excited. However, she did a good job at keeping our secret.


Stay tuned, because the story's not over yet!

Comments

Delirious said…
It's interesting that my husband did the same thing. The only difference is that he did it on our first date! He started asking me all of these bizarre questions like, "Do you sew?" "Do you make bread?", "Do you play the piano?", "How many kids do you want?" "What do you think about traveling abroad?". It was a little obvious to me, but I played along. ;) The interesting thing is that I really didn't fit his list entirely. I didn't know how to make bread then, and I have always been a terrible seamstress. I'm glad he laxed up on his list a little. :)
Delirious said…
Oh, by the way, I love this new wallpaper on your blog!
Becky said…
And I just changed it back to the old wallpaper! But we'll be experimenting this month.
lrbodine said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fast engagement story but that is very fast. I love it. And yes - when I was at BYU it was still a tradition with the ice cream! Some years I had to buy more ice cream than others. :)
jeffhead said…
Question: if i want to answer back a blogpost like one of these do I write it on the other person's blog or write under that they wrote on mine? Oh, and I actually read this edition of how you met. Usually they're too long. this one was good length.