Countdown: Thanksgiving Pie #10

I had so much fun doing the Halloween countdown, that I wanted to do something similar for Thanksgiving, but I was having trouble deciding what to do, because we don't really have a variety of different traditions. We do what everyone else does - gather with family or friends on Thanksgiving Day and eat turkey. Finally, inspiration struck! Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without pies for dessert. (Yes, the plural was on purpose.) As I was thinking, I realized that we have some unique family stories concerning pies, and since the purpose of this blog is to record those memorable experiences for our children and their spouses, I figured that would be a great "countdown" topic.

There are a lot more than ten pie recipes that we like, but I had to narrow it somehow. And these first few stories will actually be about pies that we don't like, but they have great stories to go with them.

Concord Grape Pie

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
5 cups Concord grapes
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons butter


Wash grapes, and remove the skins. Save the skins. Place grape pulp in a large saucepan; mash a few at the bottom to release their juice. Cook over medium low heat until grapes come to a full boil. Remove pulp from heat, and press through a food mill to remove seeds. Combine pulp and skins in a large bowl. Stir in lemon juice. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, flour, and salt. Stir into grape mixture. Pour filling into pastry crust, and dot with butter or margarine. Cover with second pastry shell. Flute edges, and cut little slits in the top crust for steam to escape. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in top crust. Cool.

So, here's the story. You may recall that Wayne was systematically working his way through my recipe books, trying each recipe. One of those books was dedicated to pies, and so when he came to Concord Grape Pie, he made it. (It may not have been this exact recipe, since I didn't save it.) I'm pretty open to trying new things, and normally liking them; however, this was disgusting. The reviews at All-Recipes.com gave it 5 stars, but I wouldn't. I could only handle one bite. (It was even worse than the Avocado Crème!) And even then I wasn't sure it would stay down. I suspect my dislike for dark grapes came from being offered grape juice as I was recovering from Weston's birth - that juice didn't stay down. Wayne had to eat the whole pie himself, because the boys were too young. My children may want to give this recipe a try because I've never exposed them to it. Just please do it when I'm not around!

Comments

Melissa said…
Good job! I don't think I will be tempted in the least by this one, lol I just hope my Mother-in-law doesn't come across it!