How We Met - part six

Flashback Friday or The Phone Call

January of 1982 saw Wayne back at BYU, all ready to move forward with life after his mission. During Sunday dinner with Grandma and Grandpa, he asked them if they knew of any girls he could date. They laughed and said everyone they knew would be too old. Yet, as he was leaving, Grandma remembered that she did have names for three young ladies attending school, and she gave Wayne their telephone numbers. Without delay, Wayne called the first girl on the list. He asked her out, they went on the date and had a nice time. However, she was taller than he was, so that was that.

Next he called the second girl on the list. I’m amazed that I was home to take the call, because I ALWAYS went to ward prayer. But, for some reason, I decided that it was more important for me to go to bed early that night. Well, that didn’t happen either. Here’s my journal entry, dated 11:10 PM, Sunday, January 31, 1981:

“I can’t believe what I just spent the last two hours doing. This guy, Wayne Whitaker, called me up and we talked for two whole hours. He’s Judge Whitaker’s grandson, and Sister Whitaker (who I visited before Christmas) gave him my telephone number and he called me. He sounded like a really neat guy and I’m still amazed that we talked so long.”

(Do you get the sense that talking on the phone to a stranger for two hours was unusual behavior for me?)

“Anyway, next Sunday we’re going to the fireside together so I’ll get to meet him. We talked about everything and he seems like a really fun person to be around. What I know about him is that he’s lived all over the world, presently in Bellevue, Washington and considers himself a Californian because that’s where he went to high school, he returned from a mission in Chile about four months ago, he’s in Business Administration and is going to become a millionaire with his own international company, and he loves to exercise. He really sounds like an interesting person.”


Wayne never made it to the third name. Months later, Grandma Whitaker took that girl out for lunch to apologize for the order in which she wrote the phone numbers.

Comments

Just Jones'n said…
How cool! I have heard this story before but I don't think I know how long it took before you got married...I guess I will have to stay tuned!!
Beckstrand7 said…
Finally, the next installment! This is so fun! (BTW, noticed the time you posted - 3 a.m. - are you having trouble sleeping, or does your computer clock need to be adjusted?)Now waiting for the next installment... :)
Delirious said…
I've been waiting all week for "the rest of the story". But I want to hear more! :) Give us details, like how he proposed. :)
lrbodine said…
That is such a cool story on how you met! I love it.
Becky said…
The story's not over. After all we still have to meet in person. That was just the phone call.
Rennie said…
I totally agree that men should not date or be with women taller than they are. It messes with the natural order of things! And it looks odd! LOL

So funny that "back in the day" you (meaning all of us girls who are in our 40 somethings) were thrilled to talk to a guy on the phone! Do girls even get excited by that any more? They connect in so many other ways now.

Can't wait to hear..."The Rest of the Story."