The Year of the Crazy Schedule

Memorable Monday Moments: Part of the normal FHE routine is to go over the weekly schedule. This week's shouldn't be too bad, although now that I think about it, it's not empty either (math league practice, temple trip, Personal Progress activity, Court of Honor, dentist, doctor and car appointments, Pampered Chef party, eagle service project and general conference). We've had a month now of just two kids at home, and I'm surprised that it really is different! I've been comparing this school year to the one we had ten years ago. Here's what that was like:


Weston was high school on a modified traditional schedule. That means he started school mid-August, had three 2-week breaks during the year and finished mid-June.


David was in middle school on a year-round schedule (Red Track). No school in July, November and March.
 

Brad and Jeff actually had the same schedule as David, but at the elementary school. 


Steven was in kindergarten. The school didn't offer any morning class for Red Track, so he went on Yellow Track and didn't have school in August, December and April.

Michelle was in Joy School two mornings a week from September through May. (I decided having a kid-free morning occasionally was better for my sanity than having all the boys on the same track. That turned out to be a wise decision!) This was the year where every morning I had to check the calendar to see who was in school and who wasn't. And we discovered an unforeseen bonus of having one-on-one time when someone didn't have to go to school and everyone else did. While I hope I never have to deal with six kids and five different schedules again, now that it's in the past, it was actually a memorable year!

Comments

lrbodine said…
I don't know how you managed that year with everyone on a different schedule! I can hardly keep up with my little family and our schedules.
Rennie said…
It's kinda good being on the "down side of kids" isn't it?
Jennifer said…
That schedule is Crazy! I don't mean to copy your title, but WOW. Bonus points to you for keeping up with it all!
Harlene said…
We have had a couple of years like that. You didn't even write about all the stuff going on after school.

My hardest year was definitely when I home schooled everyone with a newborn. No one ever went anywhere without me and all the rest of them.

It's nice to hear about the light at the end of the tunnel.
Meg said…
Mom, I love your blog! I learn so much about motherhood and the sacrifices and joys that come with it. I also learn more about Weston's past than he can probably remember. :)

Thanks for the inspiration. Love you!
Beckstrand7 said…
Ayayay! And I thought I was busy! What a schedule, and you survived, with flying colors, and awesome kids. Thanks for all you've done to turn these kids into who they are today; they're a joy to associate with.