I Have a Testimony

Since reading of Nephi's testimony of the Book of Mormon, I've been thinking of mine and felt it deserved its own post. Several years ago, (when we were living in South Weber, so between 1991 and 1994), the Relief Society teacher called on Saturday night and asked if I would share my testimony of the Book of Mormon in class the next day. I said sure and hung up the phone. As I tried to put my thoughts together, I suddenly realized that I really didn't have a positive testimony of the Book of Mormon. I was comparing that testimony to my testimony of the Savior or of Joseph Smith or of following the prophet, individual testimonies of various doctrines and principles about which I could say "I know this is true because such and such happened to me on a particular day and the Holy Ghost testified to me then." So, I decided to do something about it. I had never doubted the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, which is probably why I never bothered praying specifically about it, but that night I did. And I received my answer. I'll always be grateful to that sister (sorry I can't remember who she was) for providing me with that experience. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God.

And I'm grateful for children who have that testimony and share it with me. I'm grateful they didn't wait until they were 30-something to do something about it. And I hope they always remember how they received that gift. Here are some reminder jogs for their siblings. One of you shared in a seminary devotional that the very first time you read 1 Nephi 1:12, you felt the Spirit and knew the whole book was true. Another one of you, as you were going to bed after Halloween festivities, announced that you were going to finish reading the Book of Mormon for the first time that night. The next morning I asked if you had done so, if you had taken Moroni's challenge, and if you had gotten an answer. Three quick questions, three nods of the head - not even vocal answers as I recall - but I knew you had your answer by the light streaming from your eyes, and that strengthened my testimony as well.

Comments