How We Met - part two

Flashback Friday

Wetzel enjoyed his football season that fall. After graduating from Denver South High School in February of 1927, he traveled to join his family in southern California.

“While in Utah I made a brief detour to Ogden having been invited by Louise and her sweet mother to spend a few days with them. As a poor little country kid I was overwhelmed and a little frightened by their beautiful mansion. They had planned a special dinner party in my honor, and had invited a number of Louise’s high school friends to join us. A most embarrassing event occurred when I fumbled a dish of mustard pickles which landed butter-side down on the beautiful white linen tablecloth. I was horrified and felt like a country bumpkin, but lovely hostess that she was, Mother Eccles moved in swiftly to clean up the mess and reassure me that no lasting damage had been done.” (Looking Back, pg 22)

In California, Wetzel secured employment and tried to adjust to his new surroundings. “In Denver I had been a big frog in a little puddle. In California I was a very small frog in a big puddle. My ego was punctured, but it was a wonderful lesson in humility.”

“I became more interested in California when I met and became interested in a lovely little girl by the name of Doris Youkstetter. However, plans had been set in my mind to follow my brother’s lead and go back to Chicago and get a job and attend art school at night. Anyway, Doris was going to Europe with her Mother and Father for a vacation of several months duration. She promised to write me while she was away and this she did faithfully.” (Looking Back, pg 23-24)


Wetzel & Doris - 1930; their first home; Whitaker family - 1948

Wetzel and Doris were married on January 14, 1931, and raised four children together, living first in southern California while Wetzel worked for Walt Disney, and then moving to Provo where he started BYU’s motion picture studio.

Louise also graduated from high school before marrying Robert Glen on October 5, 1930. They raised one son, and eventually settled in San Jose, California.

So what does this have to do with us? I told you this was the long version. Keep being patient! Hint: Wayne was born in Provo. I was born in San Jose.

Comments

Cheryl said…
I LOVE this! I think it's really great.
Melanie said…
Becky, I would like to invite you to our blog, but I do not know your email. Could you send it to me? Melk28@gmail.com.

Thanks