How We Met - part three

The years passed; children married and left home. Wetzel records two great trials in 1968: BYU's motion picture studio burned to the ground and Doris was diagnosed with mylofibrosis. The studio was rebuilt, but Doris succumbed to her illness on August 22, 1971.

"During the holiday season of 1972, Ferrin's wife Martha asked me if I had heard that Louise Eccles Glen, the girlfriend of my Denver days, had lost her husband to which I replied that I hadn't. I asked Martha if a letter of condolence from me would be appropriate. She felt that it would be very appropriate and encouraged me to write, and so soon after I wrote her a nice little note. She answered it and this was the beginning of considerable correspondence between us. I told her of my plans to go to Hawaii and then the Orient in February. In her reply she suggested that I leave a day or two early and stop over and she would take me on a tour of San Francisco. She lived in San Jose which is not far from San Francisco. The idea appealed to me very much. Louise wrote me that she would meet me at the airport. We were able to recognize each other at once. In the next two days we spent considerable time together and seemed to 'hit it off' just as though 47 years had not intervened."

"I was almost a full week in Hawaii on the assignment. As I came back to my lonely hotel room after a strenuous day of searching [for islanders to use in dubbing the temple film] I knelt down at the side of my bed. I wondered why I was taking all of these lovely trips by myself with no one to share my beautiful experiences. I thought of Louise and as I prayed concerning her I felt a nice warm feeling come over me and I felt that she was right for me. At the conclusion of my prayer I went to the telephone and called her long distance from Hawaii and asked her if she would marry me. There was a little gasp at the other end of the line and she said, 'You're kidding.' 'No, I'm not. Will you marry me?' There was a momentary pause on the other end of the line and then she said, 'Yes.'"
Wetzel and Louise were married May 18, 1973 in Salt Lake with all of their children present. After a honeymoon in Hawaii, they settled into a new home in Provo.

Comments

Dave said…
i find these posts to be very interesting and valuable. keep 'em coming!