Family Almanac - August 6th

It's been a while since I posted anything from our family almanac, so here goes --

1996: Reilly Beckstrand born (Happy Birthday to Scott's oldest son!)
1999: Weston goes on his first date - a group date organized by his friend Jay (can't believe we didn't record the girl's name!)
2000: last Sunday in Antioch - Becky released as RS Secretary
2001: Brad makes scripture cookies for FHE
2003: Back to School!!
2007: Brad doesn't make scripture cookies for FHE even though we finish reading El Libro de Mormon.

Once we finished reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish for our family scripture study, we had a family council on what to do next, and that meant thinking back to the beginning of our tradition. Our oldest was 8 or 9 when we finally made the committment to have daily scripture time as a family. The vote then was to start with Genesis 1 and make our way through all four standard works, which we did. Years later, when that goal was complete, we went through the Book of Mormon several times. Last summer we realized that our youngest weren't even born the last time we started the Old Testament. In addition, the seminary course of study for last year was the Old Testament. So, we decided that we would read the Bible again as a family. It's been one year and we're 1/3 way through the Old Testament (that puts us in 1 Samuel). If we keep on track, we'll be able to complete this before Steven leaves home!

Comments

Harlene said…
I love the family almanac! It took us 8 years to read through the Book of Mormon the first time as a family. So glad we did it though!
Beckstrand7 said…
Okay, Becky, thanks to your example I started an almanac for our family. I started to go find some index cards & stuff, but then I realized I could do the same thing by creating another blog, but this one is private, only we can look at it, and not archived...and I did it! It was easy! I can't show it to you because it's set up as private-only the author (me) can access it-but I'm so excited. I can type in the info (short & sweet like you have), and put in labels like "August" and "8/8" for the date so I can search on any of them! I'm on a computer every day, so I'll be able to keep it up to date easily! Thanks for the idea.
Belkycita said…
Why did you read it in Spanish? Do you all speak Spanish?
p.s. I love the Almanac idea, I saw Meg's after the wedding
Becky said…
Two main reasons: it was a "new" way to read the Book of Mormon and it was our way of experiencing David's mission (he was in Dominican Republic at the time). Only my husband is fluent in Spanish, but the three boys at home were all studying it so had various levels of understanding. I've been exposed to Spanish enough so that I can follow the gist of a conversation, but don't ask me to speak it and be understood! That left just Michelle, who had the choice to follow along in English if she wanted (but it was too much work to go back and forth). Doing it that way made sure we commented on our reading at the end, rather than just closing the book and calling it done.