Duty Calls

You'll notice that these entries will lag days, maybe even weeks, behind their occurence, but that's okay. This is my blog! I like mulling things over before committing them to "paper." Anyway, Wayne and I had a wonderful time on our vacation, and I'll get to that post later, but I walked into seminary the day we got back to the news that President Hinckley had passed away the night before. Now, a week later, we have a new prophet - Thomas S. Monson. I'm extremely grateful for my testimony that Christ leads and guides His church, so that I didn't even have to wonder or worry about a seamless transition in leadership.

In fact, I found it very interesting that my lesson last Monday, on the importance of following in the footsteps of the Savior, included a story told by President Monson of the little boy who found the king's emerald while he was doing his duty of taking care of the sheep. When we learn our duty and then do it, we are following the example of Christ. And it was very easy to adapt the planned lesson to a discussion of following a new prophet.

I like this quote by President Grant that keeping the commandments is more important than gaining a testimony if we want to return to Heavenly Father. However, one of the great blessings of being obedient, is that we gain a testimony of the truthfulness of what we're doing. We just have to do our duty first.

And now, I'm off to do my duties of buying milk and toothpaste and returning library books and figuring out what's for dinner!

Comments

Beckstrand7 said…
Hey, we read that same story about the emerald in the Friend for FHE last night, in honor of our new Prophet! Don't you just love the new First Presidency? It just seems SO RIGHT!

Good luck with dinner...