WFMW - Freezer Organization

Let's continue the "clean the fridge" theme, but move onto the freezer. I recently defrosted the freezer in our garage and thought I'd share some of the things I've learned over the years to make that chore a bit easier.

Related image
I didn't think to take a "before" picture of my freezer, and although ours wasn't this bad, if your freezer looks like this one, it needs defrosting!

One thing is to remember to be patient. Let time do its job. You don't want to be scraping and scratching the surface. Just turn the freezer off and remove all the food. (I just pile it on the nearby washer and dryer, but you could bring in a table or use the floor.)

Second, though, it doesn't hurt to help time do its job a bit faster by placing pitchers or bins of hot water on the shelves. (Some people use a hair dryer to help the job along, but that always seemed to be more trouble than it was worth it to me.)

While there is a drain hole in the bottom of my freezer, and I could hook up a drain hose to it, I find it easier to just use a towel to mop up the water.

After two or three hours when all the ice has melted, wipe everything down, turn the freezer back on, and return the food.

Bins come in even more handy in the freezer than in the refrigerator. We have one for chocolate chips, one for nuts, one for vegetables, one for fruits, and one for meats.


As you can see, the "baking" items are on the top shelf, fruits and vegetables on the second shelf, the third shelf is a hodge podge of things that don't fit where they "belong", containers of prepared soups and sauces are on the fourth shelf with the beef/pork bin, and the bottom "drawer" has seafood and chicken. You can barely see that the door bins hold butter, Cool Whip, juices, freezer jam and bread, etc.

How do you organize your freezer? I'm always open to learning new tips and techniques!

Comments