Remembering the Build-a-Bear Factory

Technically, I guess it was called the Basic Brown Bear Factory, but the concept was the same as today's current Build-a-Bear stores, and it was the destination for the 1st Grade field trip when we lived in California. I was reminded of those field trips during our Sunday evening phone calls when one of our sons mentioned their experience with the pay-your-age promotion fiasco this week.

He didn't remember building his own bear when he was six, but I found the proof. Hooray for pictures! They also showed that some of my memories were not quite correct, but I have my story straight now.


I knew I had a picture of Jeff with baby Michelle and a teddy bear, but it wasn't Jeff's bear, it was Brad's. I didn't chaperone his field trip because I had a month old baby. However, two years later, I did chaperone Jeff's field trip, and it was a fun one.


Working the "stuffing" and "blow-drying" machines

Note: If the internet can be believed, Build-a-Bear was started in 1997 by a former employee of Basic Brown Bear. The original store near San Francisco couldn't compete with the growing mall chain and went out of business about ten years ago. So sad.

Comments