WFMW - Eggs and Things

Works for Me Wednesday

In honor of Easter this week, I thought I'd share some things that work for us relating to that ubiquitous Easter symbol - the hard-boiled egg.
First, I've learned that you're not to call them hard-boiled eggs, but hard-cooked eggs. Apparently, boiling them is bad news. Maybe, maybe not; you decide. However, here's how I cook the eggs so that they're ready for Easter baskets and egg salad sandwiches:

Place the cold eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Put the uncovered pan on the stove over high heat. As soon as the water comes to a boil, turn off the stove, put on the lid, and set the timer for 17 minutes. When the timer buzzes, immediately pour off the water and run cold water over the eggs to stop further cooking. Since I've learned this method, I've had success every time.



Second, here's our method for coloring the Easter eggs. I know there are many, but over the years we've found that it's easiest just to collect a few mugs or bowls from the kitchen cupboard, put a tablespoon of vinegar in each one, then fill half-full with hot tap water. Then we pull out the food dyes and have fun. We start with a few drops and keep adding more. Many years ago we discovered that if you drip the dye on the egg itself while in the cup, it makes great swirly designs. What's your favorite way to color Easter eggs? A couple of years ago we tried a method with rice in a baggie; read about it here.


Third, I love my handy-dandy egg slicer, even though I don't use it very often. (You'll notice that it's been replaced since this post.) It's still kept in the "gadget basket" and because it's out of sight, when the only option at the store wasn't necessarily my style, I bought it anyway. And it does make me smile when I use it. After slicing the egg one direction, I rotate it 90° and slice it again, to have perfect chunks for egg salad. (My recipe for that is just simply adding Miracle Whip to the chopped egg, along with salt and pepper to taste, maybe some dry mustard. Nothing fancy but it tastes great.)

Fourth, in addition to plain egg salad toast or sandwiches, which is actually just fine with me, here are some of the recipes we also use to finish off the Easter eggs.
     Creamed Eggs on Toast
     as a condiment for Chicken or Lamb Curry
     Eggs Goldenrod (scroll to the end for that variation)

Finally, best wishes for a very Happy Easter weekend! Feel free to add your favorite tips and tricks and recipes for Easter eggs.

Comments