St. George 2015 - Zion National Park - Part Two

As you'll know if you've read this post, the most fantastic hike in the world is the trail to Angel's Landing in Zion National Park. I've always felt a bit sad that I wasn't able to experience that in 1990, but figured that was okay; being a mom is more important. However, when the possibility of taking that hike this year arose, I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide if that was something I really wanted to do, or was even capable of doing. I'm not in my 20's anymore. Although I've tried to be consistent at walking several times a week, there are no hills in Florida. There aren't any mountains either, so it's been a while since I've climbed one. I'd heard the horror stories of steep drop-offs and scary rock scaling. In addition I was recovering from carpal tunnel surgery done earlier in the month. Do you think maybe I over-thunk the decision?? Anyway, I finally decided to go at least to Scout Lookout, and make the final decision then. I did hike the final 1/2 mile, and I'm glad I did. However, I don't think I'll ever do it again! You can, though.

So, with that way-too-long introduction, here are the pictures.

Angel's Landing is that peak on the right; Scout Lookout is the little valley on on the left.
The beginning of the hike. The kids thought it was ironic that my picture was in front of the "warning, steep cliffs" sign.
We made it to Scout Lookout.
Traversing the last half-mile. Yes, there are drop-offs, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

This is the skinniest part of the trail. As you can see there are steep drop-offs on both sides, but it's closer to two feet wide, not the six inches I was expecting, there is a hand-railing, and it only lasts a couple of feet before widening again.

At the top!


We're pretending David is the photographer for this picture.
Time to go back down - that's much harder on the knees!

The infamous Walter's Wiggles, renamed Wayne's Wiggles that day.
Since Steven and Michelle weren't around 25 years ago, we had them re-create some of our "holes-in-rocks" pictures.
Almost done!
Yes, I did it! 
It was fun doing a family hike once again, although we missed having David along. He always made our hikes memorable! 

Comments