Candy Countdown - Caramel Popcorn

One of my childhood memories is that every year at Christmas time our home teacher would bring over two bags of special popcorn - one red and one green. I don't remember his name, or how long he visited us, but I do remember the delicious popcorn! I was thrilled when my college roommate shared her caramel popcorn recipe with me so that I was able to recreate that childhood memory. Of course, she used brown sugar to give it the caramel flavor, yet at the holidays I use white sugar and food coloring to help it fit the theme. Here's the tutorial I made earlier.

Easy Caramel Popcorn

2 batches popped corn (use about 2/3 cup kernels)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white corn syrup

While popcorn is popping, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the sugar and corn syrup and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes. Pour immediately over the popcorn and stir well. Pour onto wax paper to let cool. Better if eaten as soon as it won't burn your tongue, but it does keep okay in a covered container.

Comments